My wonderful husband was explain to me how to set up a website so that it could be deployed to the Azure. At the time I was watching him do the work so when it came time for me to set up my own app to deploy to Azure I couldn’t remember all the steps that need to be done BUT I did remember that he had a course on Pluralsight that should be able to tell me how to do migrate my website to Azure.
Migrating your SQL database to Azure SQL
Things that arent’ supported:
- Cross Database joins
- Fix would be to modify the code to handle this
- All tables need to have a Primary key
- Some feature aren’t supported
- Such as column in encryption. you can fix this by using an ORM like Entity Framework and set the encryption via code (attribute?)
- Get a list of unsupported feature in Azure SQL http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/ee336253.aspx
- Updates that spans multiple resources
- You will have to write custom code to handle this.
SQL Migration tools
SQLAzureMW (SQL database migration wizard): http://sqlazuremw.codeplex.com/
Redgate Toolbelt: http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-toolbelt/